Question about asking for help

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Sun Jan 27 22:11:31 UTC 2013

Robert Knight píše v Ne 27. 01. 2013 v 16:47 -0500:
> Is it better to use the IRC  or this list when asking for help?

list is better because it's archived and searchable, but quick tips can
be provided also on IRC

> I'm unable to get past the IPL from the card reader with the Fedora 18
> image with Hercules on Fedora 17 x86_64.  It dies in dracut with the
> /dev/root not found message which is a catch-all for "something went wrong".

the problem here is that the install.img file with the root filesystem
can't be retrieved because network doesn't work

> It would be my preference to use the CTC networking rather than the QETH
> networking, but only because I know that it works with the Fedora 14 image.

There is a little bug [1] in dracut that prevents setting up a CTC
interface, but I have a solution for it. I've fixed the dracut file and
repackaged the initrd.img file containing the kernel's initramfs. Please
see [2] in a while for the new initrd.img and also sample generic.prm.

Fedora 14 (and all < 17) used the old way for setting up the hardware,
and I know CTC works with Fedora 16. Fedora 17 and newer uses dracut for
setting up the hw and there can still be bugs.

And most likely there is a bug in parted making it impossible to use FBA
disk, but ECKD should work.

> If there's a recipe for using QETH for Hercules, I'm certainly willing
> to do that.

I'm also interested in a QETH config settings for Hercules :-)

Dan

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-initramfs/msg03040.html
[2] http://fedora.danny.cz/s390/fedora-18/