Emergency destruction of LUKS partition

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Mon Sep 30 16:59:23 UTC 2013

On 30/09/13 17:52, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
> Someone asked me about this recently and I haven't had a chance to
> fully wrap my head around the solution but thought it was an
> interesting scenario.
>
> Background: Someone knows you have encrypted your computer using
> LUKS.  They convince you to enter (or otherwise provide) your
> passphrase via the large wrench method[0].
>
> Realcrypt method: There is plausible deniability (if properly
> implemented) whereas you could provide the person with the
> alternate passphrase which would give them access to a portion of
> the encrypted partition but not your real working partition.
>
> LUKS: There is no way to provide plausible deniability.
>
> Proposed solution: LUKS provides four key slots to use for
> decrypting a partition.  How about have one key slot that when
> used immediately implements a deletion of the encrypted partition
> (or at least the key record).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [0] http://www.xkcd.org/538/
>
> -- Eric

There is a DM-Steg module. But somebody would probably have to work a
little more on it and put it into upstream, so it is maintained.

Regards,

Tristan
--

Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org