Emergency destruction of LUKS partition

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Mon Sep 30 17:34:07 UTC 2013

On 30/09/13 18:16, Joe Wulf wrote:
> If the implementation of this is in fact a deep dark secret that only
> the implementers on 'that' system know, as well as the users... then
> this might be a possibility to protect the data at the expense of the
> person or persons lives on the wrong end of the large wrench.
>
> The kind of implementation you are talking about, more than likely,
> would already be known to wrench-wielding miscreants.  Therefore, they'd
> be on the look-out for attempts at giving the wrong key phrase.

That is why you use steganography to hide the data. So to the person
inspecting, it looks just like garbled rubbish on disc.
However, if you apply that to your main system, that is kind of stupid,
as everyone will know you have a system there.

For those interested though, here the link to the dm-steg stuff.
Including a git repo.

Looks kind of unmaintained. Would require some crypt-analysis people
and coders to look at the code. To make sure it is sound.

Peer review and all that jazz.

http://dmsteg.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

Tristan
--

Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org