FC3... install/update ?

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Thu Jul 8 17:54:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 13:29, Tom London wrote:
> With FC3 about to descend, anyone know if updates
> from FC2 will be supported?  Only clean installs?

Are updates ever "supported"?  In any event, I've been tracking rawhide
regularly via yum update so far, and haven't had any significant
problems.

> Any thoughts on SELinux-related areas needing attention?

usermode (userhelper) and sudo are still in flux, expect changes soon
both to the code and the policy.  Integrated user management is still a
major area needing improvement, as most Fedora SELinux users are not
maintaining policy/users at present for individual users (beyond
system_u/user_u/root distinctions) due to the lack of such integration
and thus cannot take full advantage of roles.  setools and setools-gui
includes some tools for managing SELinux users, but there is nothing
today to deal with distributed user databases, e.g. NIS or LDAP.  In
general, policy management tools that are more oriented toward sysadmins
rather than security analysts are needed.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency