Getting "Inappropriate ioctl" :during initrd stage of booting.

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Fri Oct 28 11:47:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 20:27 -0700, Aggarwal, VikasX wrote:

>   Please tell if  there is a way to turn off the selinux  after  full
> installation but before first boot.

Booting with selinux=0 disables SELinux at boot time. So if you have
tried doing that and it didn't help, then the problem is very unlikely
to be related to SELinux at all.

>   I already tried passing  selinux=0, enforcing=0, disable=1. But
> looks the selinux policy to disallow ioctl  during initrd is built in
> kernel.

SELinux policy isn't loaded until /sbin/init runs.  And SELinux allows
everything until policy is loaded (i.e. it is effectively permissive
until a policy is loaded no matter how you boot it).  And booting with
selinux=0 unhooks SELinux entirely.  So, as above, I don't think your
problem has anything to do with SELinux.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency