Testing request: ownCloud 7 for Fedora 20

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Aug 29 13:46:24 UTC 2014

On 08/29/2014 05:05 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks. One of my sidelines is maintaining the Fedora ownCloud
> package. Today I submitted ownCloud 7.0.2 as an update for Fedora
> 20; this is a major version update, the previous package was 6.0.4.
> I'd really appreciate it if folks could test and see if it works
> for them.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OwnCloud has instructions for
> deploying ownCloud on a Fedora install (if you find any issues in
> that page, please do fix them or report them to me). You can also
> use my turnkey testing kickstarts *for testing* (please do not use
> for production, they are extremely insecure):
>
> https://www.happyassassin.net/ks/oc/oc7-httpd-sqlite.ks
> https://www.happyassassin.net/ks/oc/oc7-httpd-mysql.ks
> https://www.happyassassin.net/ks/oc/oc7-httpd-pgsql.ks
>
> those kickstarts configure my side repo, but the build it contains
> is the same one currently submitted as the update. Installing a
> Fedora system with one of those kickstarts should give you a
> completely pre-configured ownCloud install, no interaction
> required, just browse to http://host/owncloud and you'll be logged
> in as 'admin' (password 'admin'). Then play around and see if you
> can break it. You can also test upgrades from 6 to 7 by using the
> oc6 kickstarts for initial deployment:
>
> https://www.happyassassin.net/ks/oc/oc6-httpd-sqlite.ks
> https://www.happyassassin.net/ks/oc/oc6-httpd-mysql.ks
> https://www.happyassassin.net/ks/oc/oc6-httpd-pgsql.ks
>
> thanks for any feedback you can give!

I have some thoughts on the database subpackages.

So, these packages exist solely for the purpose of installing some
dependencies and possibly a README. However, they all make the
assumption that you want to host the database on the same machine/VM
as the owncloud instance itself.

If I install owncloud-mysql, it pulls in the complete MariaDB server
installation.

Looking at the size of only the connector pieces (less than 2MB of
additional space on disk), it seems to me that it might be best to
move all the php-mysql php-pgsql and php-sqlite3 dependencies into the
main owncloud package and then only offer the subpackages as a
convenient way to pull in a local server.

I'd then change the dependency to be the reverse: owncloud-mysql would
depend on owncloud and mysql-server, thereby pulling in all the
packages necessary for running owncloud entirely on this machine.

In its current state, if I just install owncloud, it automatically
selects owncloud-mysql to satisfy its owncloud-database dependency
which results in a total on-disk size of 292MB (based on the current
set of packages I have on my system which is basically zero PHP
packages besides the interpreter)

Installing owncloud-sqlite (which is basically identical to my
proposed main package above, minus the 500k of php-mysql and
php-pgsql) results in only 168MB of space on-disk.

I would expect it to be fairly likely that people would want to use
ownCloud with either a dedicated database server for performance or an
isolated container for security.