Deadlines

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 16:16:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 16:00 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 02/21/2014 03:34 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> > You can't seriously have expected to be able to drop in and say
> > "networkd is the future!" and have everyone nod their head silently...
> > Networking is a very complex topic.
>
> Does not change the fact that networkd is replacing the legacy network
> initscript and it's purpose as well as few things else so networkd is
> the future and shipping multiple networking solution for
> embedded/servers/cloud/containers makes no sense.
>
> I would not be surprised that networkd will be ready enough for
> replacement in F22

Maybe you should go and check what NM can do today before writing it off
or before thinking systemd-networkd will be mature in the short term.

There is a very good reason why it took time for NM to become really
usable on servers, and that's because exotic network configurations are
fiendishly difficult to describe and manage.
And the exotic configurations are found on servers.

So by all means, let's watch what happens with systemd-networkd, but at
the moment it is not something I would base my work on.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York