Deadlines

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 21 16:36:09 UTC 2014

Am 21.02.2014 17:16, schrieb Simo Sorce:
> On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 16:00 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 02/21/2014 03:34 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
>>> You can't seriously have expected to be able to drop in and say
>>> "networkd is the future!" and have everyone nod their head silently...
>>> Networking is a very complex topic.
>>
>> Does not change the fact that networkd is replacing the legacy network
>> initscript and it's purpose as well as few things else so networkd is
>> the future and shipping multiple networking solution for
>> embedded/servers/cloud/containers makes no sense.
>>
>> I would not be surprised that networkd will be ready enough for
>> replacement in F22
>
> Maybe you should go and check what NM can do today before writing it off
> or before thinking systemd-networkd will be mature in the short term

nobody said replace NM everywhere

* replace network.service is the topic
* nobody i know is using NM on servers
* they all continue to use LSB network.service for good reasons

you do not need a complex software like NM on a server with one
or two static configured ethernet cards and nothing else

go away with all that dependencies on my servers

Installing:
 NetworkManager
Installing for dependencies:
 ModemManager-glib
 NetworkManager-glib
 avahi-autoipd
 libndp
 libnl3
 ppp
 wpa_supplicant

go away with all the dependencies on my full featured workstation
running BIND as nameserver, hostapd with 2 instances and a own
DHCP server for both, OpenVPN, httpd, dbmail, MariaDB and what not
all or network services, firewalls and routings

Installing:
 NetworkManager
Installing for dependencies:
 ModemManager-glib