Deadlines

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 16:51:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 17:36 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 21.02.2014 17:16, schrieb Simo Sorce:
> >>
> >> Does not change the fact that networkd is replacing the legacy network
> >> initscript and it's purpose as well as few things else so networkd is
> >> the future and shipping multiple networking solution for
> >> embedded/servers/cloud/containers makes no sense.
> >>
> >> I would not be surprised that networkd will be ready enough for
> >> replacement in F22
> >
> > Maybe you should go and check what NM can do today before writing it off
> > or before thinking systemd-networkd will be mature in the short term
>
> nobody said replace NM everywhere
>
> * replace network.service is the topic
> * nobody i know is using NM on servers

Hello my name is Simo.
Now you know someone who does :)

> * they all continue to use LSB network.service for good reasons
>
> you do not need a complex software like NM on a server with one
> or two static configured ethernet cards and nothing else
>
> go away with all that dependencies on my servers
>
> Installing:
>  NetworkManager
> Installing for dependencies:
>  ModemManager-glib
>  NetworkManager-glib
>  avahi-autoipd
>  libndp
>  libnl3
>  ppp
>  wpa_supplicant
>
> go away with all the dependencies on my full featured workstation
> running BIND as nameserver, hostapd with 2 instances and a own
> DHCP server for both, OpenVPN, httpd, dbmail, MariaDB and what not
> all or network services, firewalls and routings
>
> Installing:
>  NetworkManager
> Installing for dependencies:
>  ModemManager-glib
>  avahi-autoipd
>  dnsmasq
>  libndp
>  ppp
>  wpa_supplicant

We can look into whether these dependencies are excessive or not,
orwhether they can be made conditional instead of hard, for the people
that want minimal installs.
I do not think this is necessarily a bit problem.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York