rolekit D-Bus API v2

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 06:31:29 UTC 2014

Miloslav Trmač <mitr at redhat.com> writes:

> It’s probably not reasonable to have a generic client with zero
> knowledge about what is being deployed (if you “deploy PostgreSQL with
> no information given”, would it be localhost-only or
> internet-facing?).  Something or someone needs to know about that
> specific role.

Yeah, but that "something" could be installed together with the rest of
the role during deployment, no?  If not, we need to find another avenue
for getting this "something" onto the system, which seems to be an
unnecessary complication to me.

Doing configuration after deployment (and not as part of it), has its
own issues, so I am happy to sit back and see how this unfolds. :)

> That would also imply that it would be _highly desirable_ to provide
> an One and Only implementation for parsing the configuration file into
> the required a{sv} format.

Here are five dollars that say that people will just happily use
dictionaries like

   { "/etc/foo.conf": "<contents of /etc/foo.conf>",
     "/etc/bar.conf": "<contents of /etc/bar.conf>"
   }

I know I would. :-)