Multiple 'role' instances?

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 11:34:08 UTC 2014

So this may be way out there ... I'm looking ahead to how Cockpit would
implement roles, and combine them with other concepts such as
containerized server applications...

Is there (will there be) any concept in rolekit of mulitple instances of
a role on a server?

I know that this certainly doesn't apply to some services like IPA
Domain Controller.

But for others, such as databases it may be a limitation later on.

For example MongoDB has one database. If you want more than one, you run
more than one MongoDB on more than one port. These run as seperate
systemd instances etc...

Another example is PostgresQL. Although it supports multiple databases,
it only supports one authentication scheme. If you want distinct
authentication domains in postgres, you run it more than once.

A general example is containerized services. If at some point we do
implement a role using containers, having multiple containers filling
the same "role" (eg: EAP node) is common.

Anyway, I'm not saying that this is a *must have* aspect of rolekit. I
wanted to raise the issue. It's certainly something we have to consider
at the Cockpit level.

Cheers,

Stef