Role States

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 16:31:24 UTC 2014

Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> writes:

> I don't think we want a "half-installed" state. It's either installed
> or not.

I agree.  I had it in an earlier draft of the mail and forgot to remove
this reference to it when I removed the state.

>> The "decommission" operation undoes the firewall configuration and
>> removes the packages, without checking the run-time state of the
>> units. That is the responsibility of the client.
>
> The decommission operation should not uninstall packages. This would
> be unsafe (the classic situation when trying to delete a yum group).

I see.  (That's my ignorance showing, I didn't want to specify what
decommission really should do.)

> A failed update should probably leave the system in just an
> "Unexpected Error" state.

Yep.  This all reminds me of a previous life:

    https://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/apt-desktop/

We had a "broken" state there for packages that have unsatisfied
dependencies or other problems.  If we have such a state, a failed
"deployed" might just as well end up in it.