"Problem reporting" section of tech spec rather loose

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon Jun 9 12:21:25 UTC 2014

> "Problem reporting
>
> Problems and error conditions (e.g. kernel oopses, Selinux AVCs,
> application crashes, OOM, disk errors) should all be reported in the
> systemd journal.
>
> Support for sending this information to a central place (like abrt does
> for crashes today) is mandatory."
>
> the word "must" appears multiple other times in the page, so we have the
> old chestnut of whether we're using "must" and "should" with strict
> definitions, or as synonyms, or what. And then the second paragraph
> throws in another candidate: "Support...is mandatory". What exactly is
> "is mandatory" supposed to mean in this context?

IIRC this is different from the status quo mainly for *roles*: i.e. even if
the upstream daemon defaults to logging to its own private log files, the
role is expected to configure the daemon to log to journal/syslog instead
(or perhaps in addition).  This would in turn make it possible for a single
“forward logs to $host” configuration to apply to all roles.

> "kernel oopses, Selinux AVCs, application crashes, OOM, disk errors"

I think all of these end up in the journal/syslog already (except may be
the crashes, where kernel writing anything to dmesg is IIRC arch-specific).
    Mirek