"Problem reporting" section of tech spec rather loose

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 22:38:25 UTC 2014

I'm currently drafting some rough proposed release criteria for Server,
heavily based on the tech spec. I notice the "Problem reporting" section
of the spec is somewhat loose. It reads:

"Problem reporting

Problems and error conditions (e.g. kernel oopses, Selinux AVCs,
application crashes, OOM, disk errors) should all be reported in the
systemd journal.

Support for sending this information to a central place (like abrt does
for crashes today) is mandatory."

the word "must" appears multiple other times in the page, so we have the
old chestnut of whether we're using "must" and "should" with strict
definitions, or as synonyms, or what. And then the second paragraph
throws in another candidate: "Support...is mandatory". What exactly is
"is mandatory" supposed to mean in this context? Such "support" must be
*available* in Server? It must be *installed* (and enabled?) for the
system to count as a "Fedora Server system"? Both of these are possible
interpretations. What do we mean by "a central place"? Does a log server
qualify, or do we mean a *public*, *shared* repository, for communal
troubleshooting?

The definition of "problems and error conditions" is also both vague and
apparently wide. There is no precise definition - "e.g." means "for
example", i.e. it is not comprehensive. But just the things listed in
the "e.g." clause are quite broad:

"kernel oopses, Selinux AVCs, application crashes, OOM, disk errors"

abrt handles kernel oopses and crashes. setroubleshoot handles AVCs. We
do not to my knowledge have anything that submits OOM conditions or
"disk errors" to "a central place" in the style of abrt or
setroubleshoot. I'm not even sure that it makes any sense to send them
to some kind of public issue concentrator, given that these are as
likely to indicate local configuration issues or hardware problems as
they are to indicate bugs in Fedora Server.

So...do we feel this needs cleaning up / clarifying? Anyone who was
involved in drafting this bit remember what the intent was?

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey