dnf isn't installed by default with net install

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 13:53:11 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-11-22 at 00:01 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> >> On Nov 21, 2014, at 7:35 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is this intentional? I installed from
> >> Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-21_TC2.iso and post install dnf isn't
> >> present.
> >>

> > Yes, yum is still the default in F21. The plan is to switch to dnf in F22.
>
> I realize that but on Workstation both yum and dnf are installed in a
> default installation. In comparison it seems like it's missing on
> Server. Maybe it's superfluous on Workstation, but as a transitional
> release before the official switch I think it's a good idea to have
> both. Encourage more widespread testing, simply because it's already
> installed, while being able to fallback to yum when there's breakage.
> If F22 is the overlap release, then nevermind. But if we'd default to
> dnf *and* not install yum for F22, that seems like quitting yum cold
> turkey.

I'm CCing the Workstation list here. I'm actually not sure that
inclusion of DNF on Workstation is intentional.

That being said, I doubt that having DNF installed by default would
change the amount of testing it gets. Anyone who actually knows that it
exists is fully capable of running 'yum install dnf' (and if they don't
know how to do that, they're *probably* not going to be a terribly
effective tester of DNF).

I wouldn't call it "quitting yum cold turkey", either. Even when we make
the switch to DNF-by-default, yum is going to remain in the repository
(though on life-support, not actively developed). So it's still there
for people to fall back on if DNF truly can't meet their needs.