Docker, I can not start mysql

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 23:18:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 18:08 -0500, DiegoUG wrote:
> I am new on centos, I was in Ubuntu and my friend "yograterol
> convinced me to go over to Fedora was the best.
>

> Change many things, the problem is that mysql does not start in
> docker, in my local fedora was the same, but in Docker did not work,
> no commands are:
>

> # mysql
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can not connect to local MySQL server through
> socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>

> Local fix it as follows:
>

> $ sudo setenforce 0
> $ sudo service mysqld start
>

> But in Docker, out the following:
>

> # setenforce 0
> bash: setenforce: command not found
>

> # Service mysqld start
> bash: service: command not found
>

> It happens in the Docker: Centos and Fedora.
>

> I think it's because they are minimum operating system images.

First, I should point out that this is the mailing list for the
development of Fedora Server, not really an end-user support list. For
that, you should post your question on users at lists.fedoraproject.org

That being said, you haven't given enough information to assist here.
You haven't said what image you are using (did you get one from the
Docker image repository or build it yourself; if you built it yourself,
how did you do it? etc.)

I'd recommend trying the instructions at
https://github.com/fedora-cloud/Fedora-Dockerfiles/tree/master/mariadb
if you want a running MariaDB instance (compatible with MySQL).