Dropping a lot of files from the DVD

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 12:32:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-08-11 at 16:38 +0200, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> > I'd like to propose that we drop from the Server installation
> > everything that is not either part of the default install as it now
> > stands or an optional component for hardware support.
> Does this impact testing? The DVD is a fixed known set of packages,
> “current content of the updates repo” is changing every day. What
> will “testing TC3” mean without packages on the DVD?
>
> (Of course this would only matter for packages which are actually
> tested as a part of release criteria, which may be none of those you
> are proposing to remove.)

Well, there's some ambiguity there regarding the roles. Those *do* get
tested as part of release validation, and so if we decided to remove
them from the disk and handle them only by network install, then yes:
we'd need to come up with a new definition of testing.

I'm hoping that this will become easier relatively soon; there's a lot
of work going into continuous integration testing in Fedora and my
intention is for us to have all of the roles being regularly deployed
and at least smoke-tested. This way, nothing will get past Bodhi into
stable if it breaks a role. Once we have that, removing roles from the
install media could be considered (since we'd know that the stable repo
would still work).