network time default, f23

Miloslav Trmac mitr at redhat.com
Mon Aug 31 18:37:10 UTC 2015

> > BTW, is timesyncd == timedated? Because the FESCo ruling was about
> > timedated. If it's just a name-change, fine. But if it's a new
> > implementation, we may want a new investigation.
>
>   Those are two different things. Timesyncd is simple SNTP client (plus
> time restoration over reboot, for things without RTC).  Timedated
> is providing an API + utility to set system timezone and time and to
> toggle external time sync.
>   There are two implementation of timedated:
>  – systemd's on, this only toggles timesyncd as synchronisation mechanism
>  – timedatex, which can toggle arbitrary NTP daemon

Yeah, and the FESCo ticket was answering the question whether it replacing
systemd-timedated with timedatex was safe (probably the first instance of
two packages fighting over a D-Bus service name) and desirable (for Fedora
to keep using a full NTP client, overriding systemd-timedated’s
bait-and-switch from supporting the major NTP daemons to only supporting
timesyncd).
    Mirek