[Fedora-spins] Help creating a spin

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Aug 1 22:42:27 UTC 2008

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working as an intern with the Open Rights Group this summer, and my
> personal project for the next six weeks is to create a spin of Fedora
> that is going to be bundled with lots of free content, promoting the
> importance of the public domain and a vibrant commons, and then sent out
> to MPs (members of parliament).
>
> Kanarip said if I stopped by here people would be able to help me out
> with the spin side of it? I think we're going to use the standard Fedora
> live disc as our basis, and then we want to add symlinks on the desktop
> to the media folders that will be kept on the root of the disc. As well
> as this we're going to want to autostart Firefox and have it open up a
> copy of a local web page that will help to provide context to the
> content, as well as navigation.
>
> What do you guys think, will you be able to help out? Even a few links
> pointing me in the right direction will be a huge help as it's a big
> project even without the live cd.

Hey Jon,

good to see you here ;-)

First of all this is one of the very important use-cases where I would
like to see the external, non-Fedora content not cause us to require you
to rebrand anything.

Second, you are going to need to make sure that the packages are not
consuming too much space, so basing your live spin off of an existing
spin will probably require you to remove some of the packages in that
spin. If you use the kickstart in Revisor, use the --report-sizes
command line switch (even if you start the GUI) to make it report the 25
most space consuming packages, allowing you to efficiently remove
packages requiring the most space accordingly.

Third, if you create a new user on your system, and set it up the way
you want it (autostarting Firefox with a certain page, shortcuts on the
desktop, etc.), log out and back in to your own user account. Then, copy
every file you want to be on the live media into a tree such as:

/tmp/home/user/.gconf
/tmp/usr/lib/firefox-1.X/whateverplugin.so

Then, use Revisor's copy_dir setting to copy the tree, in this case
/tmp, right onto what is going to be the live system root directory.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen