[Fedora-spins] Help creating a spin

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 8 15:02:27 UTC 2008

> good to see you here ;-)

Thanks!

> First of all this is one of the very important use-cases where I would
> like to see the external, non-Fedora content not cause us to require you
> to rebrand anything.

I agree, this is not only a cool project for free content, but it's a
great chance to show off free software too and I'd love to keep Fedora's
brand in there.

Does the spins sig handle this, or will I need to go and talk with the
board? Also, what requirements exist for us to keep the Fedora brand?

> Second, you are going to need to make sure that the packages are not
> consuming too much space, so basing your live spin off of an existing
> spin will probably require you to remove some of the packages in that
> spin. If you use the kickstart in Revisor, use the --report-sizes
> command line switch (even if you start the GUI) to make it report the 25
> most space consuming packages, allowing you to efficiently remove
> packages requiring the most space accordingly.

Space isn't such a big constraint for us (I say that now, ask me again
in a few days!) as we're using DVD media so even if we have an 800mb
Fedora image, it still leaves us with over 3Gb of space for content!

> Third, if you create a new user on your system, and set it up the way
> you want it (autostarting Firefox with a certain page, shortcuts on the
> desktop, etc.), log out and back in to your own user account. Then, copy
> every file you want to be on the live media into a tree such as:
>
> /tmp/home/user/.gconf
> /tmp/usr/lib/firefox-1.X/whateverplugin.so
>
> Then, use Revisor's copy_dir setting to copy the tree, in this case
> /tmp, right onto what is going to be the live system root directory.

Wow OK that looks very simple and I'll be getting around to that early
next week hopefully. One question I have though, is how would we set it
up so that we can have symlinks on the desktop that point to files on
the root of the CD?

Can we just create the symlinks on the user I create, point them
at /media/$disc_label, and they'll be included and set up properly by
copy_dir?

Seems a silly question now I've talked it through in my head, but I might as well ask now :)

> Hope this helps!

Yeah, I can't believe how easy this is going to be!!

Thanks for the advice,

Jon