[Fedora-spins] Expanding the branding and marketing of spins?

Luya Tshimbalanga luya at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 15 20:26:59 UTC 2014

On 07/10/2014 10:00 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> We don't do a great job of marketing spins at the moment - a naive user
> has to click "Download" and then do something other than click the large
> obvious "Download now!" button. Clicking "Desktops" gives a list of
> desktops with no real information about what they are - users have to
> click through to the spins site. Non-desktop spins are hidden under a
> tab marked "spins", which is Fedora-specific terminology. Even once you
> get to spins.fedoraproject.org, every spin is forced into a format that
> gives little opportunity to differentiate. There's no integration with
> upstream branding.
>
> The board is considering whether the current situation meets the needs
> of the spins. Do people feel that they would benefit from the
> opportunity to have a stronger individual identity for their spin, with
> its own website and branding (still obviously tied to Fedora, but
> potentially also tied to upstream)? Or is the feeling that the current
> situation is acceptable?

Design Suite is very close to Fedora Desktop (based on gnome shell) but
aimed to be like Adobe Creative Suite using latest  computer arts
applications with very minimal configuration.
I will explore the suggestion but am content with the available tools.
Spins will need some refresh in order to make it professional for a much
broader audience.

Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Design Team