[Fedora-suds-list] Is suds still maintained?

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Wed Aug 24 04:55:25 UTC 2011

On Friday, August 12, 2011, Veres-Szentkiralyi Andras elucidated thus:
> 2011. augusztus 12. péntek 01:24:13 dátummal Dave Rawks ezt írta:
> > I just hit a bug today while writing some threaded code that uses
> > suds and I see that a bug report was already filed
> > (https://fedorahosted.org/suds/ticket/331) over a year ago. The .41
> > release looks to be about 8 months over due; is it time to migrate
> > my project to something else?
>
> I also submitted an enhancement patch in May to this list, and got no
> answer. On 22nd July, in a thread about reusing cached WSDLs and
> XSDs, Michael Sommerville wrote "I'm not sure what is going to
> happen to suds in the longer term. Perhaps it is time to create a
> public fork?" and I tend to agree with him.

I'm not sure there is a need for a fork, if Jeff Ortel (the current
maintainer) would be willing to pass off maintainter-ship.  He has
interest in Suds, and can often be hit up for help on #suds, but his
projects have taken him elsewhere these days.

A "problem" with a project such as this is that SOAP is such an arcane
and complex standard (with many incompatible implementations) that
effectively steering a project such as this can be maddening.  If we do
move maintainership "off of" Jeff, I would suggest two things:

1) The new project lead(s) is/are near-experts (the nearer the better)
in SOAP, and very strong Python chops would be needed as well, as it's a
big, complex project.  Knowledge of XML standards would be needed too.

2) One of the first priorities would be to write a comprehensive test
suite: not only with good code coverage, but with good standard coverage
as well, as well as the incompatible corner cases of various
implementaitons (that are known).  This is because fixing a corner case,
if not done properly, can break other things.  I seem to remember at
least one instance where Jeff rejected a patch because it broke
something else in Suds, or shifted out of compliance, etc.

I know two things: 1) I would LOVE to see Suds get some attention, and
2) I am not the person to do that as I know just enough SOAP/Suds/XML to
consume my Google, Microsoft, and Salesforce services.  Actually, I
don't even know enough to consume Salesforce servies, as I use Suds via
the Saleforce Python Toolkit, which wraps Suds. :)

Jeff? Any comment on this.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK