Registered mentors join with summer-coding-discuss list

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 21:12:53 UTC 2012

On 04/02/2012 10:36 AM, Buddhike Kurera wrote:
> Dear Mentors,
>
> The summer-coding-discuss[1] list is active and registered mentors
> (google-melange) are already invited. Please use the link on the
> invitation mail to join with the list.
>
> This list is reserved for mentors/ admins and will use to discuss
> things related with this year summer-coding program. The list will
> be public once the program has been concluded for this year.

So I sent Buddhike an email about this earlier, sorry it arrived late
for this action.

Mentors usually have a private-always mailing list so they can discuss
student performance and issues. This includes the discussions about
applications. We don't want that to become public, ever. GSoC is
somewhere for students to learn and potentially fail, which they will
also learn from. We don't want discussions to be out in the public
record, which could harm students.

As it happens, we already have a private-for-mentors mailing list. I
think I recommend we use that list and not the -discuss list. This is
because the -discuss list has students and other people who are not
mentors, so shouldn't be part of the private mentor discussions.

Here's how we did it in 2010.

summer-coding - the Summer Coding SIG (special interest group) list,
not about the current program

summer-coding-discuss - students, mentors, and everyone else to
discuss any topic, such as proposals, ideas, etc.

summer-coding-mentors - private list so mentors can discuss student
applications and performance

That was in 2010 when we did Fedora Summer Coding. For all other years
we used the two Google Groups:

redhat-summer - general discussion list with students and mentors

redhat-summer-mentors - private list for mentors ...

So for this year where we are just Fedora in GSoC (used to also
include JBoss, one of the reasons we used the Google Group), we have
taken over the summer-coding@ list, which is fine - the SIG isn't
active anyway, so better to do all the student, mentor, SIG
discussions in one place. Then we can use the summer-coding-mentors
list for the private discussions.

Does this make sense? Or did I just confuse things more?

- - Karsten
- --
name:  Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Community Architect
team:    Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:              http://communityleadershipteam.org
                         http://TheOpenSourceWay.org
gpg:                                        AD0E0C41