Well supported, reliable NICs for Redhat Linux/Fedora?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Nov 19 18:44:51 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 10:33, Lamar Owen wrote:
> It isn't.  Seagate has a 182MB SCSI disk.  Although it's only
> 7200RPM. (models ST1181677LCV and LWV)

Ah, I hadn't seen that model.

> > The argument is that
> > certain technologies while not necessary for you may be necessary
> > for your neighboor, and shouldn't be discounted.
> I figured you'd get the fact that I was continuing your line of
> thought on that...

Yep, I almost missed that fact (;

> SATA seems like a good inside the box disk option. Cabling is
> certainly a big plus, although I question the need for Yet Another
> Power Connector.  For outside the box and really big arrays fibre
> channel is the clear winner in terms of performance and capacity,
> with arrays being able to be split amongst different towns if need be
> (given that they're within a few km of each other).  But SCSI still
> has its advantages for many things.

I also question the need, but it is a rather moot point when dealing
with hotswap backplanes.  I tend to agree with your assessment up to a
point.  Large SATA servers (16disks in a 3u chassis) are becoming one
of our hottest items for sale.  Seems to fit the bill if quite a few
customers who need big storage, but can't afford the big cost of fibre
channel.  Mostly these are companies who don't have an office in
another town (;

I do also agree though, that SCSI has advantages for many things, but
isn't the clear winner for everything.  No technology that I've seen is
perfect for everybody for everything.

Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)
Mondo DevTeam           (www.mondorescue.org)
Was I helpful?  Let others know: