Supporting NTFS in the kernel

Mon Oct 6 16:27:21 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 10:47, Samuel Flory wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Dave Jones wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:55:21PM +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> >>  > I would like it very much if the standard kernel would include the
> >> read  > driver for NTFS
> >>
> >> Won't happen due to potential patent problems.
> >

> > Would it be possible to add some parts of the linux-ntfs-ng driver (or
> > maybe code hooks) so that they, or somebody else, could provide rpm
> > packages for the new ntfs driver module? The linux-ntfs Project
> > currently provides only rpms for the *old* ntfs driver (AFAICS)?
> >

>     What sort of hooks are needed?  What is stopping someone from
> compiling and distributing a module in an rpm?

Has anyone attempted the instructions at the bottom of:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html

"How was it done?"

where there are some brief instructions and links for a script file and
a spec file to create the RPM.

I have not yet had the time to work through it, but that seems like a
reasonable way to start.

Richard (FlatCap) is also known to be around #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
where he might be available to help someone work through the steps for
Fedora.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz