[FEDORA] Browsing Samba in Nautilus

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Thu Oct 9 20:39:23 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 14:21, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 15:17, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > Anyone know how to get around this problem? Whenever I try to use
> > Nautilus to browse an SMB network, I get the following message:
> >
> > Couldn't display "smb:///", because Nautilus cannot contact the SMB
> > master browser.
> > Check that an SMB server is running in the local network.
> >
> > No matter what I do, I can not browse at the workgroup level via
> > Nautilus. Oddly enough, I can look specifically at my shares using a SMB
> > URL pointing to my system.

> If you do smbclient -L <samba server>  it should show at the bottom who
> the master browser is.  Anything in your samba logs ?

The command smbclient -L spike-home (the name of my samba server)
produces the following (after finding that entering no password works):

Password:
Anonymous login successful

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        public         Disk      Public Share
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Home Computer Samba
Server)
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (Home Computer Samba
Server)
        PhotoSmart     Printer   Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
Anonymous login successful

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SPIKE-HOME           Home Computer Samba Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        SPIKENET             SPIKE-HOME

This is consistent with nmbd.log, which just has:

[2003/10/09 14:09:51, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(665)
  Netbios nameserver version 3.0.0-15 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2003
[2003/10/09 14:15:44, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
  *****

  Samba name server SPIKE-HOME is now a local master browser for
workgroup SPIKENET on subnet 192.168.1.100

  *****
[2003/10/09 14:15:44, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
  *****

  Samba name server SPIKE-HOME is now a local master browser for
workgroup SPIKENET on subnet 172.16.27.1

  *****
[2003/10/09 14:15:44, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
  *****

So my Samba server is indeed the master browser. I did create samba
passwords (supposedly) for root and my regular ID, but they don't seem
to work in this case.

They do work if I want to access a share directly though. Still can't
browse either.

Curious...

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,