test3 mediacheck still brain dead

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 13 15:46:14 UTC 2003

  I just burned the test3 ISOs.  (In case you're wondering how I got them
so fast, if you peruse Red Hat's list of mirrors, you can usually find one
or two that are prematurely open.)  I couldn't find a GPG-signed MD5SUM
file, but all the unsigned ones I found agreed.  After downloading the ISOs,
I checked the md5 sums, burned the CDs, and then checked the md5 sum on the
CD directly using the dd trick.  Everything checked.  Then when I brought
the disks home and did the mediacheck, the exact same thing happened as
with test2 - disks 1, 2, and 3 failed, passed, and failed, resp.  This didn't
happen with test1, so something broke in test2 and hasn't been fixed.
  I tried to make a tarball of my home directory to do a clean install, but
got an error at the end

which I never got before despite using the same procedure.  Is this due to
files changing while the tarfile is being made, and is there anything
different now than at the end of test1 that might be causing this?  I didn't
see any reported bugs for tar itself.
  So I finally did an upgrade rather than a clean install.  There were only
a handful of packages that needed upgrading, and it finished in a few
minutes.