Advice to swithc to xorg from XFree86-4.3.0-59

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Jul 21 03:28:25 UTC 2004

Satish Balay <balay at fastmail.fm> writes:

> Not sure whats hapenning here. I've installed yum-2.0.7-3 and
> fedora-release-2-rawhide with FC2 (python-2.3.3-6) - and yum doesn't
> misbehave with the yum.conf I've posted earlier.
>
> You could just change the baseurl to rawhide and try 'yum upgrade'
> again.

Strangely that works.  At least it is downloading *.hdr files.
First I retried with the posted yum.conf and I got the same error.
The edited to be:

  [base]
  name=my Rawhide base
  baseurl=ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/development/i386
(note I used ftp instead of http)

The only other differnce I see at a glance is your newer version of
python.  I'm at python-2.3.3-2

> For this you don't have to change fedora-release package. The only
> reason it matters to yum is to do the $releasever substitution in
> yum.conf.

I didn't even need to jerk it around then...

As of now yum is downloading headers from rawhide.  That will be a long
haul .. something like 2000 I think.  I'm too tired to wait so will
have to continure tomorrow... thanks for your patient help, and not
saying too much about the mess I've made....