Can fam do this [was] vanishing fam-2.6.10-11

Daniel Veillard veillard at
Sat Jul 31 11:49:52 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:16:36AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:05:42 -0400, Daniel Veillard <veillard at> wrote:
> >   Known problem. This is being worked on at various level. I can't promise
> > that gamin will be able to do that, because as long as the dnotify API
> > is used one need to open the directory/file being monitored. Yes this
> > sucks, and unfortunately I don't expect to see any kernel API improvement
> > at this point.
> Just filed a bug on this  128905 ...but its ontopic for this thread.
> I ran into this with gamin just now on my test box... gamin is holding
> the mount points like fam did. But there is a twist... with fam i was
> able to kill the fam process and then unmount with no obvious harm
> done. I try to do that with gam_server.. and gnome panel freaks out,
> and appears to die..i get a whole slew of messages about the panel
> restarting and applets reloading. And gam_server is back with a new
> process number and I still cant unmount.
> I finally tricked gamin to unmount with this commandline:
> kill -9 15365; umount /mnt/flash ; umount /mnt/flash1
> man oh man.. gnome panel really really didnt like that. Not only did i
> get the standard pop-up windows about panel restarting... but i got
> half a dozen or so empty dialog windows...empty of all text.. no
> buttons no text. I didnt even see the panel restart dialog until i
> closed all the blank windows. But this did unmount the flash
> mountpoints. Hopefully my experience trying to convince gam_server to
> let go of the mounts wasn't a design goal.
> Though i did experience a profound moment of contemplation as i stared
> at the dialogless dialog boxes. As a modern art was breath
> taking.

  I pushed fam-0.0.3 onto rawhide today.
Could you try it out, rebuild from src.rpm at:

This may help a bit, or not ... :-)

Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Desktop team
veillard at  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit | Rpmfind RPM search engine