Request for testing: xterm 191

Rob van Nieuwkerk robn at verdi.et.tudelft.nl
Fri Jun 25 07:27:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:30:15 -0400 (EDT)
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris at redhat.com> wrote:

> I've recently upgraded xterm to version 191 in rawhide.
> Currently, the included xterm resources shipped are the stock
> upstream xterm resources with no additional Red Hat
> modifications.  I've left our our customizations in order to
> determine which ones are still needed, and which ones we can
> eliminate.
>
> If you are an xterm user using Fedora Core 1 or 2, please upgrade
> to this xterm release and test it as much as possible.  Run full
> screen text mode apps that use color, be sure to use emacs and
> other software that uses various keystrokes and combinations.
> Also use apps that use function keys, and if you use xterm over
> the network, be sure to test it's interactions over the network
> as well.
>
> Particular things to look for:
> - Color changes
> - Backspace/Delete key changes of behaviour on standard Intel PC
>   keyboard hardware (ie: the Backspace key should perform the
>   standard PC backspace function of deleting the character to
>   the left of the cursor, the DEL key should perform the standard
>   PC DELETE function of deleting the character under the cursor)
> - Function key changes
> - Changes to 8-bit character handling, unicode, etc.
>
> Please try to be as thorough as possible, so that I can resolve
> any regressions or inadvertent changes soon.  If you've reported
> a bug in xterm before to us which was fixed in a future release,
> it is recommended that you please test for that bug again also.
>
> My goal is to try to keep our xterm package as close to upstream
> as possible without causing major changes in behaviour from what
> existing users are used to from Red Hat supplied xterm.  From
> time to time we need to make changes to compromise between
> differing expected behaviours, however we try to keep that
> minimal.
>
> Please report back your testing results here to this mailing
> list, however if you discover bugs, also report them to our
> bugzilla.
>
> Thanks in advance for testing xterm.

Hi Mike,

I know of one very irritating bug in the xterm with FC2:
underscores are not displayed except on the last line (and they
incorrectly stay there).  This is 100% reproduceable on my setup.
Looks like some off-by-one error somewhere.

Will check what conditions (font etc) are needed to get this problem
and if it also happens on this new xterm, but I won't have time till
somewhere next week or so.

	greetings,
	Rob van Nieuwkerk