amd_64 SATA status question

Karen Spearel kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 17:25:23 UTC 2004

Neal D. Becker wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:

>>On Thursday 11 March 2004 07:35, Neal D. Becker wrote:
>>
>>>I am (still) waiting to build a new amd_64 system.  I want to buy a MB
>>>with an SATA chipset that will work with FC2 in the near future.  Does
>>>anyone know of something that will definately work?  I keep checking
>>>this list, but I'm still not sure.
>>>
>>>I've seen reports that via works with current kernels?  Is there a
>>>particular via SATA chipset to look for, or is there only one via SATA
>>>chipset for amd_64 MB?
>>
>>With FC1 x86_64, the following chips work:
>>
>>ICH4 ICH5
>>VIA Sata (unknown exact chipset)
>>Promise SATA (unknown exact chipset)
>>Sil3112
>>
>>The Asus via boards have both VIA and Promise chips that are supported.
>>The chaintech has 4x promise ports which are supported.  Many boards have
>>Sil3114, which are not supported yet.
>

> Thanks so much for  the info.  I think I found the board you're talking
> about, is this correct:
>
> Asus K8V Deluxe Via K8T800/Via VT8237 Lan Audio Firewire DDR 400 ATX AMD 64
> http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=110201

I have a K8V and it generally works with 2 provisos...my system does not
like high latency DIMMs (ie 3:3:3:7).  I have tested extensively with 2
matched sets of 512 mb Samsungs as listed on the Asus Qualified Vendors
List and, at least for me, 200 mhz FSB ain't gonna happen with this
memory.  Asus Tech Support is less than useless and there isn't a whole
lot of information on this subject to be found anywhere.  Whether the
problem truly lies with the CPU. MB or memory, I cannot say.  I refer
you to this article and you can draw your own conclusions.

http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushkin.storefront/40509606007a7b022740c0a80102059f/UserTemplate/27

Please note that until recently, Mushkin didn't have any recommendation
for the K8V although they did for the other boards shown.  At least
Mushkin addresses the problem directly...other vendors don't.

Someone (Waren Togami, as I remember) mentioned some rather significant
problems with the MSI board early on...perhaps they have been rectified
at this point.  The MSI board, I believe, does use the Realtek 8169
network interface and this has some problems with > 4gb memory maps.
Whether this might be an issue with current kernel with less than 4gb I
can't say.

The other problem I have noted is that the 64 bit FC2T1 installer finds
the 3C940 network interface but doesn't bring up the physical link.
Earlier installers didn't find it but let you select the sk98lin driver
from a list and nfs,ftp or http installs could proceed from there
without a problem...unfortunately, with the newer installer, the device
is detected but the physical link doesn't come up.  However, the sk98lin
driver works fine with all previous 32 and 64 bit versions of Fedora here.

Of course, YMMV.

KAS