Sound on Intel i845 in test3

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri May 14 14:59:48 UTC 2004

James Jensen wrote:

> I'm currently running FC2 test3 (which I upgraded to from FC1) on a
> computer that uses Intel i845 integrated sound chipset.
>
> My problem is that while my chipset is properly detected by the
> soundcard detection tool, I cannot get audio to work on my computer.
> This problem did not occur with FC1, and there is no problem with
> sound on Windows (I have the machine set up for a duel-boot).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I did a fresh install, not an upgrade. After saying yes to the sound card working even though I did not hear anything, I cranked all the volume
controls all the way up, enabled the sound server and system sounds in
gnome, then rebooted. I did have system sounds then.

Unfortunately I put that drive into another machine to see how a fresh
install would work on it, so I don't have a module list for that
machine. The machine I put the drive into has the Intel 845 chip set
but it has a SoundMax ADI198x codec chip, so I'm not sure if it has
the same modules. I had to mess around to get the volumes turned up and
the sound server working, but I was getting the "jingle" when I shut
down. I didn't have any music to play on that machine so I never tried
to listen to any music.