/media directory

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 19:42:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:10:14 -0600, James W. Bennett
<silverhead at comcast.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know for FC3,  can you set your own devices names in the
> /media/ directory. If this has been discussed before, I am sorry I
> missed it.
> I have three cdroms, two being scsi dvd devices. I don't like them being
> named "cdrecorder, cdrecorder1 and cdrecorder2  I would  much prefer
> cdrom,  cdrom1  and cdrom2.
> Any help is appreciated.

There is a way to create local hal policy to redefine mountpoints as
well as other aspects of hal. But its going to have a steep-ish
learning curve and I don't know of a good howto for hal yet that would
have simple instructive examples.

see if you can read through the default matching/naming policy
provided and try to contruct local policy from that. Look at the files
in /usr/share/hal/fdi/
the file to place local policy should be obvious.

-jef"hopes tools aimed at hal policy creation show up in rawhide very
soon after fc3 release for feedback and testing"spaleta