/usr has vanished completely!

Brian Millett bpm at ec-group.com
Fri Nov 26 23:34:15 UTC 2004

> On Friday 26 November 2004 16:46, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>>Hi,

>>> a reset and on restart, I started to get all sorts of
>>> absolutely everything!
>>>
>>> Is /usr empty because it didn't mount. Don't panic until you've
>>> checked the partition tables and fsck
>>
>>Everything other than /usr is fine. The only thing which doesn't
>> look right is that in fstab, the line for user is LABEL=/usr,
>> whereas everything else is /var (and so on).
>>
>>How do I check the partition tables? Remember, I have nothing in
>> /usr
>>
>>TTFN
>>
>>Paul
>>
> This sounds as if you had it setup with labels, but are not using an
> initrd now, which is required to run labels as opposed to direct
> pointers such as /dev/hda7.  If you know which partition was the one
> that has the /usr on it, and you can do that with experimental mounts
> to /mnt/someplace, (after a mkdir /mnt/someplace) then mount -t
> ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/someplace, then do an ls on it and see if
> thats /usr, if not, umount it, and try /dev/hda2 etc until you find  the
> /usr partition.  When you find it, get rid of that LABEL= crap in  your
> fstab and use that instead.  When its fixed, reboot.

No, there seems to be something that happened with yesterdays rawhide update.
I just rebooted and got the message that my home dir did not exist.  I
went to a virtual term and looked to see what ws up.  This is what I got:

/dev/hda1              97M   18M   75M  20% /boot
none                  244M  184K  244M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda5              97M   18M   75M  20% /home

Well that is weird.

This is my fstab:
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
0 0
/dev/scd0               /media/cdrecorder1      auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
0 0

A ls of /home showed that it was empty.  So I mounted it. and it was there.

But I did not see anything in /boot.  /boot is hda1, but / is hda2.  The
size for /boot is correct, but when I went to /boot it was empty.  Looking
at / showed that it was mounted as /boot.  I mounted /boot ok, and the
files are there, but the latest df shows:

[bpm]$ df -h
/dev/hda1              97M   18M   75M  20% /boot
none                  244M  184K  244M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda5              26G  6.2G   19G  26% /home
/dev/hda1              97M   18M   75M  20% /boot
[bpm]$ cd /
[bpm]$ df -h .
-                     9.7G  5.2G  4.0G  57% /

So I'd say something is rotten.
--
Brian Millett
Enterprise Consulting Group  "Shifts in paradigms