boot hangs - filesystem - read-only

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Tue Apr 26 19:22:36 UTC 2005

hi,

the booting hangs on my powerbook g4 because the file-system is read-only.
i have no more ideas how to boot successfully into fc4t2.

it hangs in
runlevel 5 - while anacron start
runlevel 1 - while named start

i guess it happened because the battery get empty while fc4t2 was
started ~1 week agoo.
afair:
after the next boot i had to run fsck manually.
reboot - no luck, the system hangs while booting - read-only

todays last unsuccesfully try before i gave up:
fsck after booting into  linux rescue  with  hda7/deb-sarge  as
/mnt/sysimage

hda6 = fc4t2
fsck /dev/hda6 = all is ok
fsck -vf /dev/hda6 = all is ok

if i boot into debian i can mount rw the fc4t2 partition without problems.

- how can i restore the system ?

- assuming i would have only the fc4t2-partition,
how could i boot into rescue mode without mounting the fc4-partition ?
i tried `umount /dev/hda6` but afair this was not possible.

- not sure if it is reproducable.
in rescue_mode-german i had to switch the vt to see what i am typing.

this is a multiboot with fc4t2, macosx and debian.
i can boot into macosx and debian but this is not my intention.

thanks

--
shrek-m