yum update blocked for now

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Aug 8 22:45:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 18:23 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 18:14 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> > Jesse Keating wrote:

> > Yum still should be able to break into a mode where it would install the
> > packages that can safely be installed, instead of just dying with a
> > complaint. Since yum is the base for pup and pirut, the features would
> > increase the ease of there use.

> to be fair - you can do that now:
>
> #yum shell
> > update
> > transaction solve
>
> <error happens and it tells you what the problem is>
>
> > transaction reset
> > config exclude packagename
> > update
> > transaction solve
> > run

hmm... not all that friendly :-) :-)

I've heard a rumor there is a philosophical opposition to a "install
what you can" mode of yum operation because of the potential to do
unintended damage to a system, this is probably a valid concern. If
safety is the root cause of the concern I still think there is
sufficient desire for this feature by enough folks to trump its
exclusion. Just let the user beware and they can accept the consequences
if they explicitly enable it.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>