ACX111-Chipset supported by NetworkManager?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 14:55:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 22:00 +0100, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> hello,
>

> i use a d-link DWL-G650+ with the ACX111-Chipset. Until now, i used
> ndiswrapper (which is working quite well also with wpa_supplicant)
>
> As new NetworkManager supports WPA too, i would give him a try, if it
> would support ACX111.

No, these drivers will not support WPA currently, for a few reasons:

1) If you want a driver at least capabable of WPA, you need to use the
"softmac" branch of these drivers, ie:

http://acx100.erley.org/acxsm-20060215.tar.bz2

The straight "acx" drivers (without the "sm") are not capable of WPA.

2) They don't have the necessary enc_capa bits set in
acx_ioctl_get_range() to show that they do actually support WPA.  A
patch needs to get applied to add those, sort of like the patch for
ipw2x00 that I upstreamed a week ago or so:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=113864777900855&w=2

> Somebody found a list of supported chipsets by NetworkManager?

Any driver that sanely supports Linux Wireless Extensions should work.
There isn't a canonical list; though there should be.  Unfortunately
drivers are often in flux (ie, madwifi) and change their support based
on the day of the week...

Dan