DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 7 12:35:46 UTC 2006

On 07 4:51:S, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 10:37 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Tom Horsley wrote:
> > > I have no idea where those settings might be stashed,
> >
> > from gnome panel ...
> >
> > system, preferences, fonts, details
>
> Yes, that runs gnome-font-properties, which can be used to make
> the fonts readable on my 42" 1920x1080 monitor, but it forgets
> the settings when I log out, then I have to run it again.
> If only I could figure out the correct syntax I could probably
> drop a file into /etc/fonts/conf.d and make them permanent.
> I'll have to poke around in there and see if I can adapt
> some of the examples.

   I came from Mandriva cooker to FC5-test2 last January. I use to
do what you describe, run g-f-p immediately after login. Now I have
to do the same again for FC. As I already have the values I want, I
then just need to click off the GUI an my gtk fonts are larger,
close to KDE values. I also set the proper dpi (87) for my 19"
1280x1024 LCD in g-f-p an that affects both KDE an Gnome font
sizes. (I haven't installed DejaVu fonts)

   As you say tho, gtk settings are lost on logout. 'Bout a year
before I left cooker, this issue had been solved, an gtk settings
survived reboots, logout/in.  I don't remember which Mdv
developer(s) was responsible for this, or even if the person(s) is
still with Mdv. But the solution exists, an I'd think contact with
Mdv could soon bring the 'fix' to FC. If requested, I can post a
copy of my Mdv (on or offlist) /etc/fonts/conf.d   (I dual boot
current rawhide, an 2006 updated to Community).
--
    Tom Brinkman                   Corpus Christi, Texas