device-mapper-multipath

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 22:28:26 UTC 2006

On 7/11/06, kmberry <kmberry at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> OK.  I have used rawhide for a decade and I have an IQ of 50.  I use
> rawhide because anybody that should be using windows or macos will do
> the same thang and _not_ use FC5, but nobody thinks so since the only
> people that think are redhat developer and there is no list for us.  Now
> a yum update a few days ago broke dependencies for lm_sensors, directfb
> and device-mapper-multipath, so I just installed the new libsysfs with
> libsysfs.so.2 in it.  Now I am trying to download cd images of FC6 Test
> 1.  Why?  Because I have init oops which I am not going to investigate
> probably because device-mapper-multipath doesn't like libsysfs.so.1 and
> libsysfs.so.2 at the same time.  I can tell you rubbed me out again.  I
> just removed device-mapper-multipath to get the latest yum update for
> sysfsutils  even though the new libsysfs now contains the library and
> not sysfsutils like before even though I did it because it used to and I
> know the update ripped libsysfs.so.1 out too.  Now I know my computer
> won't reboot.  I could leave it on 24 hours a day,  but my boredom would
> result in overuse notifications from my isp.  So we are living in ugly
> land once again because you don't understand us and you never will.  I
> could build device-mapper-multipath against libsysfs.so.2 and configure
> away all the developer's mistakes,  but then I would have to deal with
> all the other mistakes you introduced on top of it all and I don't think
> I would be very successful at resolving it all as only you people at
> redhat could do.  So don't forget to delete this email so it doesn't
> show up at the Fedora Community Portal.

You do realize that rawhide is the development distribution.  That is
it constantly changing and frequently broken.  And that it is quite
possible for brokenness to be worse than dependency problem and really
mess things up.  If you care about the system working all the time,
then DO NOT USE RAWHIDE.

How did you install the new version of libsysfs?  Did you use
"--nodeps" to force the upgrade?  If you forced the upgrade, then all
the packages which depended on libsysfs.so.1 are now broken.  They are
looking for a shared library, libsysfs.so.1, which does not exist.
This is what is causing the segfault.  You can fix the problem by
downgrading to the version which contains libsysfs.so.1.  If you
really want libsysfs.so.2, you can rebuild the problem packages to the
new version.  It is likely the developers will rebuild the problem
packages in the next couple of days.  It is your impatience which made
the problem worse.

Once you have things, if you want to update the other packages, you
can exclude the problem packages from the update:

yum --exclude=libsysfs update

 - Ian