desktop update failure (F9beta)

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:34:28 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> But this thread has made me wonder about something.  In general do we
> need a way to notify 'normal' users concerning out of disk space
> situations when they occur or are about to occur?  Or do we have a
> notifier already and I haven't run into yet?

I don't believe there is any method for notification in place, and I've run into
the out of space on / problem several times during the f9 rawhide period.  There
are quite a few apps that behave VERY badly when it happens too (unfortunately I
haven't kept track of the ones I ran into, oops).  Running completely out of
disk space is something I just assumed is bad juju.

If a daemon was running and notifying the user of an impending problem that
would be great, as long as it was nicely behaved when you didn't want to know
about a certain filesystem, or not be warned repeatedly.  I just hate that in
Windows, and although you can prevent it through the registry it is not obvious how.

> -jef"Am I gonna have to start gpg ascii armoring anything I write
> online?"spaleta

Doing so totally blows your plausible deniability so maybe not 'everything'. ;)

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29