How to download a file without installing?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 02:49:10 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2008 20:22, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> You can also add a '3' to the end of your kernel parameters in grub before
>> you boot (edit at the grub menu for just that one time), which will get you
>> to runlevel 3 and just work in the virtual terminal until you've got the
>> network up and running (or at least the rpm installed).
>>
> Unfortunately none of these methods were successful.  Adding '3' didn't boot
> to level 3!  The method involving ftp to a mirror is out - I don't have a
> connection.  Using Ctrl-Alt-F1 gives me a terminal and I tried the yum
> command from there.  It said it couldn't retrieve the mirrorlist, and
> couldn't retrieve repository metadata.  Attempting to install from a
> graphical file manager says that local installs are not supported.  End of
> road, I'm afraid.

The kernel parameter should be a 3 character, not a '3' as I said, unfortunately
its hard to say some of these things clearly without using an example (so as I
should have done.. it should be like this):
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-1.fc9.i686 ro
root=UUID=8301cc68-612d-41d0-9e05-112d8fd6bc9d quiet 3

Without a network connection you can only use rpm to install (rpm -i).  I hope
you worked this out or got a fresh install done.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29