jigdo

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 08:30:15 UTC 2008

Adam Pribyl wrote:

> Considering somebody who
> knows nothing about jigdo (and it is not me), he will download those
> file, actually .jigdo is opened as text file in the browser window, and
> - do I downloaded the Fedora or what? Therefore either clicking on
> .jigdo should start some application that handles this file for user -
> as .torrent does, or there should be at least README in the dir
> explaining what to do with those file, or there should be something else
> pointing to what to do with those files. I understand what to do with
> them, you do also, but lot of people do not, and explaining this in
> mailing list is useless, for those who are JUST clicking on
> "get-fedora".

I understand your point, however... setting up jigdo to 'just open' via an
application is something that cannot be done GENERALLY for other systems people
may be using when they try to download fedora.  If they are using a Fedora
release already, and have a jigdo supporting app installed, it should open with
that application (I do not know if this is true for F8 or not, but I would agree
it should be true).

A small link from the get-fedora page like 'what is jigdo?' would be useful.  To
that end I've filed the following bug in the fedora-infrastructure TRAC [1].
You may feel free to follow up on it there when someone in the websites team
sees it.

That said.. a user should not click on a 'jigdo' link without knowing that the
hell it is either. ;)  Google would serve them well, but a link to the fedora
wiki would be a nice touch.

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/532

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29