Current Rawhide just a bit too raw

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Tue Jan 22 02:42:29 UTC 2008

Additional comments below...

On 01/21/2008 09:14 PM, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> First time I tried to log in after the upgrade, login hung with a
> blank screen (well, not blank exactly, it had the same background that
> the login screen has).  Ended up killing and restarting dbus-daemon,
> killing gdm-binary and logging in again, and it worked the second
> time.  I was unable to reproduce this issue after upgrading again from
> Rawhide this evening and rebooting again.
It came back the second time I rebooted.  Had to kill and restart
message-daemon three times before I could get a login to complete
successfully.
> Using openchrome driver, attempts to watch a video with mplayer using
> xv resulted in a green screen and lots of CPU hosage.  Had to use "-vo
> x11" to get mplayer to work.  I believe xv was working before this
> morning's upgrade.  After this evening's upgrade, xv seems to have
> started working again.  Cool, but I don't see anything in this
> evening's upgrade which would explain that, so I can't help but
> suspect that the problem I had before I upgraded this evening hasn't
> really gone away but rather is simply intermittent.
Saw this problem again too.
> After upgrading this evening, when rebooting the Avahi daemon reported
> a shutdown failure.  Can't reproduce this by running "service
> avahi-daemon restart" without a reboot.  Ditto and ditto for ConsoleKit.
I now suspect this is because the Avahi daemon and ConsoleKit both
crashed when I restarted message-daemon.  Not sure if that's reasonable
behavior.

  jik