Possible use of Resolution ?

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 03:40:58 UTC 2008

hi,

Seem like I said something about possible use of "Resolution" field in bugzilla, Suggested used for computer model/brand. ( a selection list, could reduce
input for brand perhaps )

- I don't know if how it would be to add info, but gave it some thought:

1. On new hardware, it seem they have introduced things they don't want
   us to know much about. For example, Microsoft may set BIOS setting. There
   isn't much you can set if you open it. These setting may turn functions
   on/off. There seem to exist some ASIC decoders for video and other stuff
   in some cases. It was strange to notice how all "streams" could be affected.
   Network, USB, DVD, etc. ( you may start MS, warm reboot into Linux and see
   Radio light stay on.

2. Assume that 'we' want POSIX and that hardware reports to kernel space.
   This doesn't happen if any of these chips isn't enabled. Then you don't
   see the hardware in /proc. ( have not checked out Smolt, but assume it
   will miss it too )

3. Video doesn't work, sound doesn't work, USB doesn't work - there can
   be a number of reports, that may not pick up the connection.

How do you figure these things out ?  You may have "lspci" and other things
that could show things, when and how are those listings generated ?
At a cold start, or after a warm reboot where MS may have enabled something ?

How many man-hours are used to report bugs, to try an recreate them, to patch
code with attempts to solve something, etc.

Fedora have excluded .mp3 and other stuff. For the same reason, I assume that
some hardware chips will not be "enabled" - and my "gut" feeling is that some
of these chips may hide secrets we know little about. It may be common to
pay per download of movies and so on, which may be where we may come to learn
a bit more of what might have been put into the hardware. ( I did buy a product
with a MS label on, and cannot blame them for that )

My point is about things that may not work, about things that may be filed as
"bugs" that may not be correct. About possible wasted time and effort.

Am I off track, or missing something ?
Just wonder a little.

//ARNE

( have not done basics, not fully operational yet. )