vmware VM with kernel 2.6.27-1

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Oct 13 15:54:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 19:46 -0500, Cory Rainey wrote:
> Message: 3 Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:55:32 +0200 From: "Bruno GARDIN"
> <bgardin at gmail.com> Subject: Rawhide does not boot since 2.6.27-0.398
> To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases"
> <fedora-test-list at redhat.com> Message-ID:
> <4a2527c40810111055h3c7b9e7bqb3fd93de477b7cbc at mail.gmail.com>
> few month now but i have problem of boot since kernel 2.6.27-0.398. My
> rawhide is a virtual system on vmware server now in version 2.0.
> Whenever i try to boot, i got the following errors at the end :
> Activating logical volumes VOlume group "VolGroup00" not found Unable to
> access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01) Creating root device
> Mounting root file system mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as
> ext3. No such file or directory Setting up other filesystems setuproot:
> moving /dev failed:No such file or directory setuproot: error
> mounting/proc: No such file or directory setuproot: error mounting /sys:
> No such file or directory Mount failed for selinuxfs on /selinux: No
> such file or directory Switching to new root and running init swithroot:
> mount failed: No such file or directory Booting has failed Boot works
> fine with kernel 2.6.27-0.382 but fails also with 2.6.27-1. I have
> looked at the thread related to ext4 but i am using ext3. I have also
> tried a new mkinitrd on 2.6.27-1 but no change. Any idea of what the
> problem could be ?
> -- BeGe

> Exactly same problem here.

	Seems to be a race condition in the initrd.  Recent changes in the
kernel have removed dm-mirror, dm-zero, and dm-snapshot as initrd
modules.  That's resulted in a race condition where lvm starts up too
soon, before the scsi devices have settled.  More details are in another
response in a parallel branch of this thread but there are a couple of
workarounds.

	Mike