The fdisk/parted conflict - Re: Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Aug 25 20:51:53 UTC 2009

Oh! The fdisk/parted compatibility conflict has finally hit me
during installation. :)

Anaconda complains about being unable to process drive sda.
No detailed error message. Just the options to either ignore the
drive or reinitialise it. Made me scratch my head for a bit, because
that drive is used for running Fedora 11 and 10 just fine.

$ parted /dev/sda print
Error: Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition.

Ah yes, at some point I had reordered the partition table with
fdisk. And parted now refuses to access it. Full denial of service.
Great error message, too. Isn't it really not possible to print the
partition number, at least?

--
After having deleted and recreated one partition parted no
longer refuses to work. Hopefully Anaconda will work, too.