Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Feb 6 16:58:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:43:44 -0500,
  Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III (bruno at wolff.to) said:
> > I use Ctrl Alt BS a lot, as X crashes for me when starting up over half the
> > time. Sometimes I need over a half dozen restarts before X starts up
> > successfully. While I could do multiple telinits, Ctrl Alt BS is a lot faster.
>
> Not to be too pedantic, but if X crashes, what exactly are you
> killing with ctrl-alt-backspace?

I guess it must not be totally dead, but rather in a state where signal isn't
being set to the display. When things aren't working an LED is briefly
green and then turns yellow. (All the while the screen stays black.) Ctrl Alt
BS makes it turn green again. Sometimes just briefly, but eventually I get the
desktop displayed.

I can also switch to vt's, but that is a slower way to restart X.