Wiki suggestions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 21:52:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 17:06 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> I like the layout but not quite happy with the content hence I've made
> changes to my draft trying to merge both pages.
>
> "Activities"
> ( I personally am against nailing QA to only testers as this section is
> about. )
>
> I removed the underlying link of Testing in "Activities"
>
> "Testing of software as it is released into Rawhide, updates-testing, or
> as it appears in a supported public release. "
>
> The page that is being referred to should dye and not gracefully I might
> add..

I agree that it's a bad page. However, the information in it is probably
useful information that we want to have available. How should it be
better organized?

I would propose splitting it up. The stuff about 'how to report bugs'
and so on should probably be handled by the Bugzappers group - they may
have a page for this already. The stuff about Rawhide should, again, be
a separate page - if there isn't an actual 'Rawhide' page yet, there
ought to be one. That just leaves the stuff about updates-testing. 'How
to use updates-testing' could probably usefully be its own page too. So,
three separate new pages? Sounds good?

Then we can think about how to pull it back in to the main page later. I
think you're right that, for now, we should just drop the 'testing'
link.

> I added a reference to Triagers ( Bugzappers )
>
> * [[ BugZappers | Review ]] and act as bridge between users and
> developers that aids in fixing and closing bugs ]]

This is good, but could probably be written better - I'll change it in
my draft.

> Removed the reference to Test Day since the info on when test day's are
> held is on the test day page.

I think we can keep the mention but not talk about the day. It's smart
not to write the day here, because when you duplicate info like that in
different pages, it's easy for them to get out of sync.

> * [[QA/Test Days | Test Days ]] are typically held on Thursdays to
> coordinate focused testing on a specific feature or component.
>
> Removed Related Projects unless all SIG's are going to be mentioned here
> it should not exist.

I agree entirely. I just don't see the need for this.

> Used my Communicate and Get involved but arranged them as his suggestion
> did.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/Draft/QA

Here's my draft. It's a synthesis of your ideas and Chris's.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA

I added an overall introduction sentence. I tried to rewrite the
Bugzappers line to include their name and make clear that they're a
group themselves. I added the test days link back but did not include
the day in it. I changed the Get Involved section, because I intend to
put all the details on the sub-page, so I did it as a couple of natural
sentences, and tried to write it in a really welcoming way. For the
communications section I kinda merged the two together - I liked the way
Johann's is nice and compact, but I kept a couple of bits from Chris's.
Notably, I kept Chris's way of doing the mailing list, because doing it
as a mailto: link wouldn't work unless you were already signed up for
the list.

What do you guys think of this?

I'll do a draft for the Join page later. Where it lives in the namespace
isn't really important. The reason Wiki nazis don't like / characters in
Wiki page names is that they *look* like directories, but they really
aren't. Wikipedia doesn't have directories. The page
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join is not a file named 'Join' in the
'QA' directory, it's just a page in the flat wiki structure which
happens to have a / in the name. So it looks like one thing while really
being another. However, we'd have to re-arrange all existing pages to
really have a sensible flat structure, so it may make sense to call it
QA/Join for now. I don't think it's really important.
--
adamw