Fedora 12 QA retrospective - feedback needed

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 21:54:57 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 16:20 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > >From my perspective, the two main avenues to a new Fedora release are
> > the live installer and preupgrade, and those two should get all the
> > attention they can get.
>
> I'd say the main problem with preupgrade testing is that, given the
> fairly limited resources QA has, it's rather hard for us to recreate the
> infinite configurations people in the real world will try to run
> preupgrade on. It's inherently a nightmare of complexity. We can
> certainly try and do _better_ testing than we currently do, though.

Sure you can't hope to test a full matrix, but that is just as much the
case for anaconda... yet the anaconda test matrix looks a lot more
complete than the upgrade one. Anyway, I don't want to make it sound
like the upgrade situation is mainly a QA problem - it is
first-and-foremost a maintainership problem; we must get out of the
situation that one of the two main avenues to the next release is wwoods
weekend project - of course, the other one being the unloved stepchild
of the installer team is not exactly perfect either...