F14 Alpha - First impressions

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:46:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 08/25/2010 11:21 PM, Fulko Hew wrote:
> >
> > a) I'm disappointed that I couldn't try it in VirtualBox v3.0.8,
> >    but then again F13 wouldn't install there either.
> >    (It might work under newer VirtualBox's, but thats all I have right
> > now.
> >    (The installation 'infinite loops during system loader phase with a
> > stack trace')
>
> You might want to take this up with VirtualBox.  Not something we test
> for or control.

I'm going to ignore this for now.  Newer versions of VirtualBox will
probably
work, but (to make a long story short) I'm stuck on F8 because I'm waiting
for KDE 4.x to be as 'user friendly' as 3.5 is; that unfortunately means
sticking to older versions of 'other' stuff too.)

> > b) I'm glad that it does (so far) attempt to install under QEMU
> >    (under the virtual machine manager from Fedora 8)
> >
> > c) The GUI install wouldn't work, but I fell back to text install.
>
> Hardware specs please.

 QEMU (or the Virtual Machine Manager) reports the Display as 'Virtual
Display - VNC server'.
What else can I look at?

> d) I was disappointed that it would not let me select the packages
> >    to install (I want KDE not Gnome)
> >
> > More comments if I get any.
>
> Did you use a live images?  If you did, it doesn't allow selection of
> packages during installation.   The non-live images do allow you select
> KDE in the custom package selection screen.

I used  'Fedora-14-Alpha-i386-DVD.iso'

I have to assume, that since it found something wrong/incompatible with the
VNC server provided by way of QEMU/VM, that it decided to fall back to text
mode install, and only provide the minimal installation set. ;-|

But then again yum fails to work too, but thats because it seems the network
didn't get configured either under QEMU either.  Its too bad.  Older
versions
of Fedora run fine under these old VMs.

I guess I'll just have to wait and test F14 under physical hardware...
and then hope KDE4.5 is good enough (compared to MY needs inKDE 3.5)
to make the switch.